Sunday, August 16, 2009

First days in Paris

First of all- I am definitely not the type of person who would blog, and I think most of you know that. But because this is a once in a lifetime experience and because there are so many of you back at home that are so thoughtful to think of my while I'm over here, I've decided to try and keep this blog for you.
I arrived in Paris on August 14th. Our place is quite small. We have a kitchen with just enough space to walk through, living room with small couch and tv, bathroom wide enough to fit the toilet, and bedroom with JUST enough space to fit our clothes for 4 months- however the cabinet doors won't completely close.



The apartment is on a quiet street just off of Bonne Nouvelle, a somewhat popular and busy street with shopping and, as we found out yesterday, a grocery store. There's a McDonalds on just about every corner with 12 different kinds of coffee- and it's not like the McCafe coffee we have at home- it's 12 different kinds of hot coffee of every shape and size.
We haven't eaten out yet- honestly I'm afraid I won't know what anything means or what to say. I keep accidentally speaking Spanish- which is awful- so I'm practicing French by watching French tv and keeping a dictionary by me to try and figure Ross and Rachel are really saying in French "Friends".
As of now- I truly miss all of you back at home. It's definitely going to be different living over here. It's hard to think that I won't be able to see you if I want to- that I'll have to wait 4 months until I see you next. But I hope you know that I love all of you and that I miss you all very much already. Thank you for your support and love- that I will not forget for a second while I'm here. I will keep you posted with what is going on, I promise! Thank you for everything!

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to stop by your apartment! I'm sorry it sounds so small :-( I agree, I know no french and keep having nightmares about trying to speak it. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the apartment is so cute! is that a washing machine i see in the kitchen?! how odd..
    i think its a great idea to watch Friends in french, and everytime you do you'll think of me :)
    have so much fun and go explore paris!!! and do us all a favor and shop- after all, paris IS the fashion capital of the world! miss yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the Senseo coffee pot. Aren't you glad you know how to use it! Is that a round bed in the bedroom and are those bars on the windows? How high up are you? I bet you're glad I'm not staying with you when I come, it is way too small, but cute. Well I guess what we heard, that most French speak English, is false. We really miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad I know how to use the Senseo- I just need to find the pods now around Paris to make coffee with! The bed isn't round- I think that's just the perspective. There are bars outside the window, they are decorative though, but I think they're also so you can't fall out of the room. We're on the 2nd French floor- which in Europe the ground floor is 0, then 1, then 2- so really its the 3rd story up. It is quite small- but cute and comfortable as of now. We did just find out though that the couch turns into a sofa bed- so it can technically sleep one more! Love you tons and I miss you so much too!

    ReplyDelete