Thursday, September 17, 2009

End of Week 3...

Well, I have just about reached the end of week three here in school. It's hard to believe I've already been in Paris for just about five weeks! It's been a great experience so far, and I'm truly enjoying every second. Tomorrow morning we have our second presentation in studio, and my restaurant has come pretty far since I last posted sketches. I have been able to take a 16'8" by 83' barge, double its size, and create a design that allows the user to rearrange the program and continuously change how to restaurant looks and acts. It's somewhat of a new type of architecture- to create something that allows the user control over how the building comes together, looks, and functions. Here are some pictures of what it looks like as of now.

We have also had our second Urban Exploration class. Our professor took us through Paris by means of "passages" or arcades, basically enclosed alley ways filled with shops. There are several arcades throughout Paris, each one different depending on it's location and the culture in that neighborhood. The first arcade was built back in the mid-1800s. It was a mix between what would be a mall and a plaza. Woman would get all dressed up to go to the arcades and socialize with friends while walking through. Passages were a means of "strolling", it was said that they were designed as a place to walk your turtle. Arcades are something unique to Paris that have started to spread- I saw one in Munich too! They are beautiful areas in Paris, something that makes this city what it is.

Ok- so this really has nothing to do with anything, but as I was walking around Paris today- I came across these two images. The first is a child's outfit- dressed in a real, pink fur coat and Spiderman patched jeans. I'm sorry- but if this is a girl's outfit, I don't think she'd be wearing Spiderman on her pants- and if this is for a boy- he should not be wearing that coat.

The second is just a play on reality. Dogs have become an accessory- you pick out the cutest dog and carry it around wherever you go. Funny enough, you do the same thing with your purse. So- here is the two put together.

Anyways, it is almost the weekend and I will be staying in Paris and hopefully exploring more. I will let you know what I see and what I do. I hope all of you back at home are having a great end to your week. I miss you all tons and can't wait to hear from you! Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment