Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Midterm

Well, I've been working hard and finally have enough to show you where I'm currently at with my floating restaurant. It's changed a lot since I last posted, but I really like where it has gone. My concept is to design a restaurant that can constantly change with the change in location and chef. The chef has the option to rearrange the boat in accordance to his own concepts. I created cores that cannot move, which contain the kitchenx and bathrooms, and bedrooms that have a limited ability to move. This allows me some control over what the end product is and forces only end results that I will be pleased with. The first floor consists of the kitchen, bathroom, crew living quarters, and seating for the restaurant. The top floor consists of more seating and lounging more for the bar.
The design is based off of two ideas, a grid and a cube. The grid is 8'4x8'4 and there is a telescoping rod that connects the frame of the cube to the grid. By allowing the rod to be telescoping, it has the ability to open the frame up when it is collapsed from storage. The rod is connected to a ball within the grid that allows it to move throughout.

The cube is comprised of a steel frame with four panels. The cube can collapse into 3' tall when in storage. When opened, it stands 8'4 and hangs 4" above the floor to act as a step when entering the cube. There are three types of panels that comprise the walls, one is red opaque glass, one frosted glass, the last translucent glass. The panel can be stored up in the top of the cube and lowered down on a hinge to be put in place. When the panel is not in use, you get to see it above you while inside the cube. The panels also have the ability to open as a door.

The restaurant is only allowed to be 16'8 wide and tall while traveling- so there is a process to open the barge up into the final restaurant. It is a 10 step process, all of which I have models of, so here we go!

Step 1: Barge closed

Step 2: Slide barge open to 33'4 wide

Step 3: Put in extra columns

Step 4: Unfold grid for lower cubes

Step 5: Telescope columns to reach grid for upper cubes

Step 6: Unfold grid for upper cubes

Step 7: Telescope columns to lift upper grid in place

Step 8: Unfold cubes

Step 9: Move cubes into final location

Step 10 (and final product) : Lower panels into final location

And that is that! We don't have our midterm until Friday, Oct. 30th, so if you have any opinions or suggestions, please let me know! I hope you enjoyed, and thank you for checking in. Miss you all and please keep me updated with what's going on over your side of the ocean.

1 comment:

  1. Dang! And I thought calculating implied forward rates and currency futures prices was tough! I can't exactly give you any advice/suggestions... but the pictures/designs look pretty neat :) I hope the midterm goes well!

    Also, that picture of you in the lighted tunnel is great.

    I miss you stacy. Can't wait to see you in December! Let's skype soon, ok?

    ReplyDelete