Friday, October 16, 2009

String of Pearls

Yesterday we had another walk throughout Paris in our Urban Exploration class. The walk was called "A String of Pearls"- we walked from the third to the first arrondisement parallel to the river searching for "jewels" within the city. There are several mansions, plazas, and gardens that were built by the wilthy over the centuries. Each were similar in their design, but different in their use and program. Although it was great to see these old, rich areas, I took it upon myself to search for my own jewels throughout the walk. What I love about Paris is the unknowing, the surprises. You never know what you'll see when you turn the corner. For example, on my walk to school the other day- my typical walk- I saw something so atypical: a moped covered in grass! Of course it was fake grass, but seriously, where else would you ever see this!

For me, the walk with class became a treasure hunt for more of these images. Instead of walking you through what we were supposed to see- I'll walk you through what strange, unique images I found. We started at the Place de Vosges- a plaza in the heart of the city built by a King in the 16th century. All of the facades were the identical and in the center was the statue of the king on his horse, go figure. However, as we're sitting there drawing the plaza, we hear a band getting closer and closer to us. Out of nowhere, here comes the players, performing a Sousa-like piece- on horseback! I don't know about you, but I've never seen a tuba played on a horse, riding around a plaza designed by a king. It was so strange, but such a unique experience to watch.

As we walked through the plaza, underneath a walkway, I turned around and saw the sun shining in through the columns into the space. There was a couple standing at the edge of the walkway. It was such a perfect picture moment-I wish I knew who they were, it is a great picture of them- and of the Parisian feel in general.

We walked to see the largest piece of the Paris wall left in the city. The wall was from back in the 16th century when a it enveloped the small city for protection. If you were inside the wall, you were Parisian, if you were outside, you were not. Today- this piece of the wall is located in the heart of the city- it is hard to imagine that I was standing in an area that used to not be considered the city in which I stood.


We walked back down the same street we had walked to get to the wall- however this time, I noticed a bathroom inside of a restaurant, facing the street. The bathroom door was open and you could see right into the bathroom. If you look closely, you'll notice the walls. Those aren't just painted circles- they're rolls and rolls of pink toilet paper used as wall covering- something I've never seen!

As we continued on, entering one plaza after another, I saw this image. There was a covered passage into the plaza that produced an arch- almost framing the plaza. I just thought it was a beautiful image.

We ended up at one of Paris's history museums. I have never been here before, but supposedly the museum is filled with articles from throughout Paris when Haussman "tore" Paris apart in the late 1800s. He was an urban planner that completely changed the city- but destroyed much of the city in the process. This museum collected bits and pieces of buildings that were destroyed and created an exhibit out of it. This is just an exterior wall- filled with pieces of old Parisian walls- but it really makes me want to go back and visit the entire museum.

We broke for lunch around the Pompidou Center. I haven't been to the Pompidou in a couple weeks, and since then, they have started installing a new exhibit. The traveling exhibit is displayed in a room that butts up to the sidewalk alongside the building so you get a glimpse of what's inside. They were installing the new exhibit yesterday- and I have no idea what it is or who did it- but all I could see was one of those swing sets they have at local fairs- but it was interesting to see it this time inside while standing on the outside- typically, this is one of those things you view the other way around.

As we continued on the walk, we approached a street I have traveled several times. However, at the intersection we approached, I usually go to the right and this time we went to the left. It was the simple action of turning the other way that I saw this view of the street. It was interesting how there there were two pedestrian streets side by side- both with a completely different feel, separated by a row of trees.


So- the roads in Paris are quite narrow, but a bus should know how narrow the street is compared to the bus, but I think this driver had a little difficulty in eyeing the turn. I stood there for a couple minutes- but have no idea how it got out of that.......

We walked to the Place Vendome- which is probably the richest area in all of Paris. The only stores in this plaza are the highest of high end. The column in the middle with the pure size and openness of the area I think show the power of this plaza. I could NEVER go shopping here!

We continued through the plaza and ended up in the gardens just east of the Louvre. There was a little carousel for children placed off to the side within the trees. From my view, it almost looked as though the tree tops were growing out of the carousel below.

Just a little further into the gardens was a bicycle built for the tallest man. It was just sitting, chained up next to a post like someone dropped it off and ran to get a drink. I don't even know what to say.

We ended up at the Concourse- an intersection in the center of the city where you can see the Louve to the west, the Egyptian Obelisque in the center, and the Arch de Triumph to the east. However, if you look at it from a slightly off center- you get a view of the Eiffel Tower as well. It looked as though the Obelisque and the Eiffel Tower are in contact with each other- with the same vocabulary and shape- yet built at completely different times. I loved this view.

As I stood, waiting for the professor to give her goodbyes, I looked down by my feet and saw a leaf taht stood out from the rest. It was bright pink- as if it had been dyed amongst a pile of brown leaves. I picked it up and placed it on the concrete ledge and it came out as a really interesting picture.

As hopefully you have seen, there are so many unique views, objects, ideas throughout Paris. I love this city for that- you never know what you'll find next. This last picture was taken in the glass windows of a little perfume shop along the walk. The glass was translucent at the top and had a gradiant of pink towards the bottom. I think the reflections it produced speak for itself. I miss you all at home! I hope you enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. I like this post...I am going to write something similiar :-)
    I admire your observations while the rest of us were freezing our bums off haha
    One day we'll be able to afford Dior, but for now I'll just draw it in my sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete